Saturday, November 20, 2010

Yahoo Chat Rooms Or Online Brothels? May The Force Be With You!

Okay, I told myself that I was going to write something here frequently and now that the first blog post is over and I do not have something funny to say, I am just going to keep Pooping here and hope something funny comes out. Let's talk about... Yahoo Chat Rooms.  Yeah. That's something interesting to talk about right there.

You know there was a time when internet chat was a pretty cool thing. As students we used to login with our real names and make real friends in chat rooms. Then something strange happened and chat rooms phased out of our lives. We grew up. In the mean time we (the we that encompasses the entire human race, or at least the subset of the human race who call themselves programmers) were busy building more and more websites like Twitter, Facebook and Orkut (and minting a shitload of money building these websites) while the rest of us were busy yelling "Hey this is FUCKING COOL! That's SOCIAL MEDIA!".

While ALL this was happening the chat rooms were turning into shit holes for bots and people looking for Sex Chat. Now I have nothing against bots per say (except the fact that they are hugely irritating and I do not understand why anyone in their right mind would waste time building them). As far as sex chat is concerned methinks there are some stats out there which say that Cyber Sex is actually brining crime levels down in some countries. Besides it is safer than the real thing and utterly amusing if you have ever stumbled into a Yahoo Chat Room and have seen messages of a 29/m/LA look for a Lonely Wild Girl, so I am not complaining. Every man (and woman) has a right to pick the kind of conversations they want to have with perfect strangers and if they want a little bit of textual entertainment, I am perfectly fine with that.

But then, these two breeds of chatters, the bots and horny young (and old) guys wanting cyber sex, slowly turned Yahoo Chat Rooms into a place where you weren't comfortable giving out your real name or for that matter strike even a perfectly sane, normal conversations with perfectly sane and interesting human beings.

The rooms do not seem to have a lot of discussions or conversations going on these days. Every conversation that happens usually happens between a "M" and a "F" in private messages, even if it's a perfectly sane, funny, witty, normal conversation. I've started looking at Yahoo Chat Rooms as a means to get to know a hundred random strangers and I can tell  you it seems FUCKING DIFFICULT.

It's tragic and funny, because while we were busy yelling "SOCIAL MEDIA! TWITTER! FACEBOOK!" we took a perfectly working form of direct one on one conversations (chat rooms) and turned it into an online brothel for cybersex.

Anyhow,  I have been frequently visiting these online brothels for the last couple of days and there is some hope left. In the last couple of weeks I have been able to bump into at least two really interesting people who I am having meaningful conversations with. It is a sign that perfectly intelligent, smart and even witty individuals still care to have direct text based meaningful and completely meaningless conversations with each other.  So, The Jedi Race isn't wiped out yet. Now all we need is a Luke Skywalker to find Yoda and learn the ways of the force and Chat Rooms can be fun again. May The Force Be With You.

No comments:

Post a Comment